My name is Robert Agnello and I moved to Warwick, NY in June of 2016. It quickly became my home. I love the people, the town, the events and everything about it, including the stillness at night. I live in the area of the new proposed Biergarten that is being discussed. This bar/restaurant with outdoor seating is being proposed on Elm St. where I walk my dogs and is a residential area.
I know first hand what a business like this does to a neighborhood. I lived in an apartment in Jersey City when a similar Biergarten opened up on the 1st floor of my building, so I can just tell you the impact that establishment had on my neighborhood.
- The noise level was intolerable. 90 people outside, yelling, laughing, screaming and talking was unbelievably loud.
- The closing time was 11 p.m. but the people who frequented this place milled around way past
- Police presence had to be increased due to the amount of fights and just crowd management.
- At least once a week an ambulance would need to be called to help someone who drank way too much.
- Every time I walked my dog, after 10 p.m., I had to step over passed out people, or try to get through groups of inebriated youths.
- My wife was harassed every time she had to either go out or come home.
- Also there were a number of people hit by cars due to the increased traffic flow.
If you want to just get a taste of what it will be like, stand outside Halligans on West St. at 11 p.m. on a Friday or Saturday night. I did. People leaving that bar are loud and obnoxiously inebriated. Also, every time the door opens the noise level increases by tenfold, due to the people and the loud music.
This idea that things can be contained is a fantasy. They won’t be. The traffic that this will create, as in my old neighborhood, will make it a congested area that used to be a quiet walk at night.
I am totally against this idea. It’s not right for my neighborhood or for Warwick.