My husband and I have been Warwick, NY Village residents for 17 years. We fell in love with the Warwick Village charm.
It has come to our attention that there are plans to have a Beer Garden on Elm St. in Warwick.
We HIGHLY PROTEST this type of establishment being created there. This is a residential Village, not a party spot for a large Beer Garden that would attract a high number of party people and cars.
HERE ARE THE REASONS WHY:
1) HIGH VOLUME OF TRAFFIC: Elm St. is a small street, and with the number of people and cars that this type of establishment will attract will make the traffic unsafe for everyone, especially when customers are buzzed from beer. West St. cannot handle large number of cars either.
2) DRIVING CONCERNS: People drinking and driving after visiting such an establishment on a small street is a high concern. We cannot tell you how many times we hear skidding cars when people accelerate their car peddles down fast to the floor when they turn from Elm St. onto West St. It would endanger any pedestrian walking around these areas. This establishment would be an open invitation for more car accidents.
3) ADDITIONAL SAFETY COCNERNS: There are a lot of broken beer bottles along the sidewalks of West St. thrown from cars. We hear that breaking glass too. Residents with children, some with strollers, walking their dogs and guests who come to our Village fairs have to walk through that broken glass, and would have to deal with the high volume of traffic on these small roads.
4) NOISE LEVEL: We live in the Village a few blocks from Elm St. The sound into the late hours of the night from such an establishment would be horrible! We already experience hearing Halligans on West St. West St. acts like a mega phone echoing all the noise up the street. We hear it at my home. People hang outside of that bar, and the loud music, talking/partying, sounds travel up West St. and we can hear that. Elm St. is closer to us, so we know the sound would be more, and horrible.
People drunk and walking around is another unpleasant factor. We can hear the loud talking, fights, laughing, talking loudly and breaking of bottles on West St. We know if another drinking type of establishment is created, there will only be more of this.
5) PROPERTY VALUES GO DOWN: The people who live on West St, and Van Buren St., Elm St. will lose a lot of the value of their homes. No one would want to purchase a house that has a Beer Garden in their back yard!!! The noise level and lack of privacy is an additional concern for them. We are concerned about our own houses resale value since we live so close to Elm St.
The charm of Village life will become overrun by all mentioned above. Warwick will become a party town. Plus, driving those small streets will make it dangerous for Warwick residents and visitors to our village.
How would you like it if a Beer Garden was built in your backyard? Would you like to entertain your family, children or guests, let alone try to enjoy your backyard with a Beer Hall in your backyard? We bet you would NOT want to live with all the things mentioned above!!!!
ROSANNE & TOM ANDREAS, WARWICK VILLAGE RESIDENTS