A Warwick Valley Dispatch reader sent us a note recently to offer her thanks to two good Samaritans who saved her from an uncertain tragedy. These two ladies were walking in the Warwick Grove neighborhood when they smelled gas near a home. They called the Warwick Police and Fire Company and then knocked on the door and escorted the owner out of the property.
Orange & Rockland arrived and told the homeowner that the gas level outside her basement was off the charts and had the gas not escaped from the basement, she could have been become very sick and possibly died from the gas fumes.
Police and fire personnel, along with Orange & Rockland responders, determined that the leak was caused by a crack in the furnace. They tried in vain to help the homeowner get someone out that day to fix it but with no luck. She was able to stay with friends until the furnace could be repaired on Monday.
The homeowner never got the ladies names but wanted to express her thanks in the hopes that they read the Warwick Valley Dispatch.