Story by Lourice Angie
Firefighters were dispatched to an automatic alarm at approximately 5:15 a.m. on Wed., Apr. 12 that went off at the former location of the La Piazza Wine Bar and Lounge at 24 Railroad Ave. in Warwick. The storefront is currently vacant. The business relocated one store down from where it was originally.
Warwick Fire Department Chief Jason Brasier said that when the fire department arrived they could smell smoke. The preliminary investigation determines that the fire started in the ceiling and is believed to be electrical. The flames from the blaze and a substantial amount of smoke also affected Grappa Ristorante which is located directly above, and FriYo – Yogurt Cafe & Fine Chocolates, next door.
“All of our hard work is destroyed. It’s such a shame. This is a horrible thing to have happen to us at Easter time,” said Frances Bachmann, owner of FriYo.
According to Brasier no one was injured and the investigation is ongoing. Other fire departments that responded include Chester, Greenwood Lake, and Upper Greenwood.