Story by Janmarie Foschini
Will and Christine Moley, the owners of Greenwood Lake Bagels Inc., which is located at 93 Windermere Ave. in Greenwood Lake, hosted the first annual “Three Alarm Breakfast” for the Greenwood Lake Volunteer Fire Department on Sat., Feb. 24.
“It was a great day celebrating our Firefighters and learning about fire prevention.” said Christine Moley.
Several members of the Volunteer Fire Department attended this event and were happily greeted by local residents, answering fire safety questions and handing out fire hats to children.
Firefighters in attendance included Chief Mike Dunlop, Vice President Jackie Lowenberg, Captain AJ Alfano, and firefighters Jon Lowenberg, Brian Campagna, Dan Campagna, and John Jablonowski.
The Firefighters offered the following fire safety tips and springtime maintenance suggestions to residents:
- In case of any fire or emergency, call 911. If a fire takes place in your home, get out first then dial 911.
- Know two ways out of every room.
- Practice fire drills within your home, have an escape plan and designate a safe meeting place.
- Practice Stop, Drop and Roll.
- Don’t play with matches.
- Don’t play with fireworks.
- Inspect your home for fire hazards such as overloaded outlets and blocked and covered heater vents.
- Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors once a month.
- Clean dryer vents.
- No outside burning.
Fire Chief Dunlop reminded residents to use caution as ice is melting on the lake and he recommended staying off the ice.
“Our doors are always open to the public. Thank you for all your support and call anytime,” said Chief Dunlop.
Vice President Jackie Lowenberg said the Fire Department is in need of members. Applicants must be 16 years or older and the 16-year-olds come in as junior members.
To pick up an application, meet the members and learn more about joining, stop by the firehouse Tuesday evenings at 7 p.m. Applications can also be found on the website at www.glfd.us.
Vice president and parade chairperson Lowenberg extended an invitation to the community to attend the upcoming Orange County Parade on Sat., Sept. 22 at 2 p.m. with viewing on Windermere Ave.