As per the Village’s lake management plan, we will be using Sonar-One, an herbicide, to treat for several invasive plant species within Greenwood Lake. The treatment will take place on Thurs., Jun. 8 and will be done in the northwest channel, north east arm as well as the channel heading south past Emerald Point down to Chapel Island. The following restrictions will apply ONLY in the treated areas: no swimming for 24 hours and irrigation for two weeks of your lawn. The DEC has put no restriction on fishing or drinking the water relating to the treatment.
Chamber of Commerce Street Fair
The annual Chamber of Commerce Street Fair will be held this Sat., Jun. 10 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Windermere Ave. There will be many vendors, live music, free parking, arts and crafts as well as face painting and activities for all ages.
Comptroller Review of the Village
The Village of Greenwood Lake just received a letter from the NYS Comptroller’s Office informing us of their assessment based on a recent review. They were in the Village for about one month reviewing everything from personnel, financial records, contracts, and many other documents related to how we run government. This is essentially a “pre-audit.” According to the letter, “nothing came to our attention indicating that the Village was in need of auditing.” They did however point out that we should upgrade our IT infrastructure to better safeguard our online information. I am grateful that our Village employees, in particular our Village Clerks, have done a tremendous job in delivering the most ethical, competent and cost-effective services to the taxpayers.
- GWL Coalition Teen Center – open every Wed. from 4-8 p.m. at the G.L. Elks Lodge, 35 Chestnut St., 4 to 6 p.m., art open to all ages under 18 & 6-8 p.m. teen group (12-16 ages).
- Open Gym Basketball – for grades 7-12 at the Middle School Gym, 1247 Lakes Rd., Monroe, every Mon., 8-10 p.m.
- GWL Village Board Workshop – Mon., Jun. 19, 6:30 p.m., in the Courthouse, 47 Waterstone Rd.
- GWL Village Board Meeting – Mon., Jun. 19, 7:30 p.m. in the Courthouse.
- GWL Coalition Meeting – Tues., Jun. 20, 7 p.m. in the Village Hall, 18 Church St.
- Zumba at the Beach – 9 a.m., every Sat. at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park.
- Yoga at the Beach – 8:30 a.m., every Sun. at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park.
The above column, written by Village of Greenwood Lake Mayor Jesse Dwyer, has been published in the June 7 issue of the Warwick Valley Dispatch.