Story by Janmarie Foschini
Cast members from the Drama Club’s production of “Peter Pan, Jr.” performed selected songs for the Greenwood Lake School Board and audience members during the Board meeting on Tues., Feb. 20. The play will be presented on Fri., Mar. 9 and Sat., Mar. 10 at 7 p.m. at the G.L. Middle School, located at 1247 Lakes Rd. in Monroe.
Third Grade Students Perform
Members of Ms. Smith’s third grade writing class performed a song they wrote for the school. Mr. Bob, a song writer and author of children’s books, guided the students in composing a school song.
Tax Levy Limit Update
Also during the meeting, Ann Lierow, the Assistant Superintendent of Business, made a presentation to the Board regarding the tax cap and tax levy limit. Discussions will continue and will be finalized in August during the budget workshop. Upcoming steps discussed include:
- A budget presentation on Wed., Mar. 14
- Contingent budget report on Wed., Apr. 11
- Public hearing on proposed budget on Wed., May 2.
- Budget vote and board member election on Tues., May 15.
Superintendent Dr. Steven Cohen addressed the Board and audience on safety procedures throughout the school district including:
- Both schools are on a permanent lock out. A permanent lock out means the building is fully locked and nobody is allowed to enter without permission.
- Security guards are on duty in both schools and all visitors must pass through security in order to enter the building.
- Students and staff perform regular safety drills throughout the year.
- An assessment in both schools will take place for the possibly of protective film/treatments on windows.
- The installation of electric locks on classroom doors is being discussed.
Patricia Wark, PTSA Vice President, addressed the Board with the following:
- A special thank you to Dr. Cohen for attending the last PTSA Meeting.
- The Book Fair will be held on the following dates: Middle School, Tues., Mar. 13 to Thurs., Mar. 15, with family night on Wed., Mar. 14, time to be announced; Elementary School, Tues., Mar. 20 to Thurs., Mar. 22, with family night on Wed., Mar. 21, time to be announced.
- The second annual Color Run is currently being planned. The date will be announced.
- The next meeting will be held on Thurs., Mar. 8 at 7 p.m. in the Elementary School Cafeteria. Everyone is encouraged to attend.
Next Board Meeting
The School Board meeting will be held on Wed., Mar. 21 in the G.L. Elementary School gymnasium, located at 80 Waterstone Rd. in Greenwood Lake.