Story by Janmarie Foschini
Summer fun has been well underway for the last few weeks in Greenwood Lake, including swimming, boating, bike riding, and more. Greenwood Lake Police Officer and Youth Coordinator Leanne Malara offered up the following safety tips to help keep you safe throughout the summer:
- Follow navigation laws and local village ordinances.
- Wear proper life vests.
- Make sure your vessel is equipped with the proper equipment.
- It is important that your life vests are coast guard approved.
- Wear a helmet and look before crossing the road when cycling skateboarding, scootering, etc.
- Use the Buddy System.
- Reminder to drivers – with summer here, the Village is busier. Be aware of pedestrians and remember, it is the law to stop at crosswalks
The Greenwood Lake PBA has the following events lined up for the summer:
National Night Out will be held on Tues., Aug. 7 at 6 p.m. at the Ben Winstanley Park, located at 133 Windermere Ave. This is a G.L. PBA and G.L. Coalition sponsored event. Help support National Night Out! Give Neighborhood Crime and Drugs a good bye party! This event takes place all across America and sends a powerful message about community unity, awareness and safety and police-community partnerships. Any groups or organizations interested in participating can contact Officer Malara or Dispatcher Finn at 477-9211.
Officer Malara said, “Our department takes pride in dedication to our community. Our door is always open for any questions or concerns that you may have. We thank you for all the support. We are looking forward to seeing our community at National Night Out.”