The following column, written by Village of Greenwood Lake Mayor Jesse Dwyer, has been published in the Jan. 8 issue of the Warwick Valley Dispatch:
As the new year progresses, we consider ways to improve our lives. I am writing today to ask our residents to consider the lives of others, particularly those in need. The Village Board has been partnering with the GWL Community Coalition to do exactly that. We have worked very hard with a dedicated team of volunteers to fight alcohol, and more specifically, drug abuse among our community’s youth. Together, we have run many programs to spread awareness on the signs, symptoms and solutions to drug abuse, given countless hours on outreach programs and we have formed a teen center and youth sports programs such as the open gym. Each of these programs requires more volunteers to be successful. I am asking members of our community to take this very seriously and join our cause to help others. You would be surprised to know how many people are affected by the drug epidemic. If you would like to join the Community Coalition, we meet on the third Tuesday of every month at the Senior Center at 7 p.m. You can just show up and participate as much or as little as you’d like. If you would like to volunteer at the Teen Center, you will need a background check to ensure no issues exist that could prevent you from working with children. You will need to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Teen center meets every Wednesday from 4 to 8 p.m. at the GWL Elks Lodge, located at 35 Chestnut St. This year we have added a new art program from 4 to 6 p.m. and will be constructing a Teen Center garden in the Spring.
- Greenwood Lake Coalition Teen Center – open every Wed. from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Greenwood Lake Elks Lodge, 35 Chestnut St. Art is open to all ages under 18 from 4 to 6 p.m. & the teen group is open to ages 12-16 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Open Gym Basketball – for grades 7-12 at the Middle School Gym, 1247 Lakes Rd., every Mon. from 8 to 10 p.m.
- Greenwood Lake Community Coalition Meeting – Tues., Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m. at the Senior Center, 132 Windermere Ave.
- Greenwood Lake Village Bd. Workshop – Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the courthouse, 47 Waterstone Rd.
- Greenwood Lake Village Bd. Meeting – Tues., Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m. in the courthouse.