The Warwick Fire Department reports that for the year to date they have responded to 151 calls for service. For the period from Mon., Apr. 2 to Sun., Apr. 8, the Department responded to 10 calls for service including: three automatic fire/carbon monoxide alarms, three transformer explosion/wires down calls, one motor vehicle accident with a car versus a pole; one Fast Team mutual aid call to the Chester Fire Department for a structure fire (firefighter assist search team), one electrical fire in a commercial building, and one smoke investigation.
The Warwick Fire Prevention Team offers the following safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Burn Awareness: Most “fire-related injuries” are burns.
- Dryers & Washing Machines: The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them.
- Escape Planning: Learn the steps to create and practice a home fire escape plan.
- Gasoline & Propane: Always handle gasoline in the home or propane-powered equipment cautiously.
- Hoarding & Fire Safety: Many fire departments are experiencing serious fires, injuries and deaths as the result of compulsive hoarding behavior.
- Medical Oxygen: The use of portable medical oxygen in the home has grown over the past decade.
- Portable Fireplaces: The fuel, device and open flame from portable fireplaces can be dangerous.
- Portable Generators: The most common dangers with portable generators are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electrical shock and fire hazards.