Artists and collectors have submitted unique and one-of-a-kind paintings, images, and historic artifacts for display at the Albert Wisner Public Library, located at 1 McFarland Dr. in Warwick, in connection to the Village of Warwick as part of its Sesquicentennial celebration.
Paintings and photographs in the “Warwick Through Time” exhibit adorn the walls of the main floor of the Library and the staircase to the lower level where more images and artifacts can be viewed in display cases now through Fri., Jun. 30. A reception for the exhibit, which is sponsored by the Warwick Art League and the Albert Wisner Public Library, will be held in the Board Room on Sat., Apr. 8 from 2 to 4 p.m.
Brochures will be available to guide viewers on a tour of everything in the exhibit that ranges from paintings to memorabilia – all depicting the Village’s heritage and rich culture. Some of the historical items include a bank ledger with names of families that still reside in Warwick today.
The ledger isn’t the only item on loan from Key Bank’s artifact collection, they also loaned a portrait of Hylah Hasbrouck, a beloved fourth grade teacher in Warwick. Along with the portrait is a picture and story about the Hasbrouck House which is currently Key Bank, located at 5 Maple Ave. The house was once part of a thirty acre farm bought by James Hoyt from the former Francis Baird tract in 1808.
The Village’s past continues in a collection of photographs from the Warwick Historical Society depicting the move of the Village Hall building. An oil painting of Clinton Wheeler Wisner, who served as President (Mayor) of the Village from 1890 to 1904 hangs on a wall in the back of the Library. He was the builder of the Dulce Donum on Oakland Ave., a portrait of which is situated next to the one of Wisner.
An interesting piece from the Village that grabs the viewer’s attention is called, “Mournful Bliss.” Limbs from a 100-year-old tree that passed its life expectancy on the property of an 1840 Village home were sliced into thin disks and reassembled in a series of three teardrop shapes. The inner beauty of the tree has been forever preserved and highlighted.
Another must see is the “Poet’s Corner,” where patrons can read various collections that are on loan. Some of the poetry books are available for purchase. There is also a wide array of paintings and images that are for sale throughout the Library.
For more information on the exhibit call the Library at 986-1047.