Story by Janmarie Foschini
The Greenwood Lake Union Free School District (GLUFSD) Board of Education met on Wed., Jan. 23. The meeting was called to order by Board President Susan Selser.
Food Service Update
- GLUFSD Superintendent Dr. Steven Cohen; Sarah Hadden, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology; and Food Services Director Alan Muhlnickel gave an update on the food service for both schools. The approach taken is to improve the meal service and still remain in the National School Lunch Program.
Results from the student survey in grades kindergarten through eighth grade, included adding the following items to the menu: meatball parmesan sandwich, taco shells instead of scoops, a salad bar, and a variety of different soups. In addition, pizza dippers have been added to the menu.
Students asked for soda, which is not allowed; brownies (they are looking for a whole grain alternative); chocolate covered pretzels (currently looking); and items that are already served such as spaghetti and tuna fish.
Village Liaison Report
Village Trustee Katheleen Holder reported the following updates:
- Winter Classic: the second annual Hockey Classic will be held on Sat., Feb. 9 & Sun., Feb. 10 in the arm of the lake located across from Grace Lutheran Church on Waterstone Rd.
- Winter Carnival: The Winter Carnival will take place on Sat., Feb. 16 & Sun., Feb. 17 at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park. Two full days of fun-filled events and entertainment are planned, beginning at 10 a.m. Food and beverages will be on site. Activities will include snow tubing, snowman building contests, a cornhole tournament, and much more. A heated tent will be available both days. A craft project will be one of the many fun events planned for the children.
- Celtic Day/Irish Heritage Celebration: to be held on Sun., Feb. 24 from 1 to 6 p.m. This event is hosted by the G.L. Gaelic Cultural Society and will be held at the Arthur Finnegan American Legion Post #1443, located at 40 Mountain Lakes Ln. in Greenwood Lake. The cost is $10.00 per person (over age 13) or $25 for a family of four (two adults two children under age 13).
- St. Patrick’s Dinner Dance: to be held on Sat., Mar. 2 from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. at the Arthur Finnegan American Legion Post #1443. The cost is $40 per person.
The next Board of Education meeting will be held on Wed., Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. in the G.L. Middle School cafetorium, located at 1247 Lakes Rd. in Greenwood Lake.