Story by Janmarie Foschini
The Greenwood Lake Board of Education met on Wed., Jan. 9. Middle School Principal Jeffrey Golubchick opened the meeting with an update on the progress of the Middle School garden.
Principal Golubchick gave many thanks to Lisa Warren and Kim Gibel for all of their hard work and for creating garden schedules for over 30 students and adults. Additional thanks go to many teacher volunteers, including Project Lead The Way (PLTW) teacher Alex Vinelli, for working with students to build all the planter boxes, and art teacher Chris Ferry for all the wall murals both inside and outside.
All students in both schools were excited to taste vegetables from their own garden harvest as part of their lunch. Principal Golubchick added that they are looking forward to next season’s garden harvest and all that it will bring. Following the opening remarks, students and advisors gave the board a presentation on the progress of the garden and the upcoming plans.
Principal Golubchick then thanked music teachers Lee Compton and Laura Kroll for all their hard work on the recent winter concert.
It was announced that the Pep Rally will be held on Fri., Jan. 25 at 12:45 pm.
In closing, Principal Golubchick briefed the Board on the work with teachers to plan 10 electives for the spring semester in grades six to eight.
G.L. Elementary School
G.L. Elementary School Principal Dianne Connolly briefed the Board on the following:
- Return from winter break: everyone is refreshed and renewed. The school is continuing with goals that were set at beginning of school year.
- Winter MAP Testing is currently underway.
- Currently underway: bench marking at the kindergarten to first grade level. This began pushing into classrooms on day one in September and teachers are working with students instead of waiting to see who would need extra help in January.
Sarah Hadden, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology, presented a brief update on security and bus safety.
PTSA President Melissa Apuzzo gave the following updates:
- Family fun nights are being planned: Fri., Jan. 25, Bingo; and Fri., Feb. 22, movie night. Both events will take place at the Middle School.
- A Scholastic Book Fair will be held in March.
- A Basketball event is being planned for April.
Village Liaison Report
Village Trustee Katheleen Holder, the Village of Greenwood Lake Liaison, reported the following:
- The G.L. Second Annual Hockey Classic will be held on Sat., Feb. 9 and Sun., Feb. 10 in the arm of the lake located across from Grace Lutheran Church on Waterstone Rd.
- The G.L. Winter Carnival will take place on Sat., Feb. 16 and Sun., Feb. 17 at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park. Two full days of fun-filled events and entertainment are planned, beginning at 10 a.m. on both days. Food and beverages will be available. Activities will include snow tubing, snowman building contests, a cornhole tournament, and much more. A heated tent will be available both days. A craft project will be one of the many fun events planned for the children.
G.L. Soccer Tournament
Bill Boss, the Orange-Ulster BOCES liaison and vice president of the G.L. Gaelic Cultural Society along with G.L. Trustee Kathleen Holder, coordinator of the G.L. Soccer Club and incoming President of Gaelic Cultural Society, thanked the School Board for their help with facility use and security during their 39th Annual New Year Kickoff Tournament.
The next Board of Education meeting will be held on Wed., Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Middle School cafetorium, located at 1247 Lakes Rd. in Monroe, NY.