The Warwick Fire Department (WFD) responded to 182 calls for service to date as of Mon., Jun. 3 ending a busy week for firefighters.
This past week was another busy week for our firefighters. The WFD attended the Warwick Memorial Day Parade on Mon., May 27. We thank our veterans who continuously defend our freedom to give us all we have. With this the Warwick Fire Department thanks you all for your sacrifices and it will never be forgotten.
All four companies also held weekly apparatus checks, company drills and a department rope rescue drill. The WFD attended the Warwick Health Fair held on Sat., Jun. 1 on Railroad Green.
On Sat. evening the WFD was dispatched for a mutual aid request to provide our Truck 633, Engine 636 and Rescue 637 to the scene of a house fire in the Vernon Fire Department jurisdiction.
Fire truck Returned to Warwick
We would like to congratulate past captain John Woloszczak who purchased and returned retired the 1981 American LaFrance Goodwill Hook & Ladder Company #1 apparatus to Warwick from Waldoboro, ME, where is has served since it left Warwick in 2002. The apparatus is now retired and will be here to make more memories for years to come. Thank you to our members who made the trip and to TAM Enterprises in Goshen, NY. Thank You Tony!!!!
Warwick Fire Prevention Report
The WFD Fire Prevention Team offers the following fireworks safety tips for use if fireworks are legal where you are: observe local laws; keep a bucket of water handy in case of a malfunction or fire; read and follow all warnings and instructions; never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks; be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks; never shoot a firework at or near another person; only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves, and flammable materials; never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned but douse and soak them with water and throw them away; never ignite fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container; keep unused fireworks away from firing areas; and store fireworks in a dry, cool place. Check instructions for special storage directions.
The team also offers the following grilling fire safety tips: propane and charcoal BBQ grills must only be used outdoors. If used indoors, or in any enclosed spaces such as tents, they pose a fire hazard and a risk of exposing occupants to deadly carbon monoxide poisoning; place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and foot traffic; grills should be positioned at least 10 feet away from siding, deck railing, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches; keep matches, lighters, and starter fluid out of the reach of children in a locked drawer or cabinet; keep children and pets away from the grill area. Declare a three-foot “kid-free zone” around the grill; use long barbeque mitts and long-handled grilling tools to protect the chef from heat and flames when cooking; and periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below the grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.
Firefighters are Needed
Firefighters are needed to join the Warwick Fire Department. Do you have what it takes? Is there a fire in you? Stop in to any firehouse, find us on Facebook, Instagram, call 986-3473 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.