Last week, my wife posted a meme on Facebook which accurately described our current situation. It said “the weirdest part of living through the COVID-19 pandemic is the strange mixture of normalcy and emergency that we’re experiencing. I constantly feel like I’m either over or underreacting, or really both at the exact same time. It’s surreal.”
To date, the only overreaction I have seen is the hoarding of toilet paper. There is no doubt this virus, and the situation it brought with it is dangerous. We must all do our part to follow the rules and independently work to slow down the spread of this virus.
Some important points below:
- The Library is offering incredible programming on their website: gwllibrary.org.
- If you have school-aged children, you should continue keeping them in their school day rhythm. This will be their longest summer break ever. I suggest not letting it be a vacation the entire time.
- Greenwood Lake volunteers are making masks for our local first responders and hospital staff. If you would like to volunteer sewing or have elastic to donate, contact Maureen Mulcahy at 742-9530.
- To volunteer helping seniors and those in need, contact Marianne at 987-9330 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Village Hall is operating but not open to the public. To pay bills or building documents, drop off boxes are located in the police dispatch office at 14 Church St.
- Garbage and recycling will continue on the normal schedule
- Restaurants and other food establishments are operating with delivery and curbside pickup. If you are staying open for these services, please do your best to offer curbside pickup RATHER THAN indoor ordering and pickup.
- True Value hardware is only allowing residents of Warwick and Greenwood Lake to enter the building. Those from outside of town must place their order by phone and pick up curbside.
- The local geese management program must continue and can occur while social distancing. If you see a goose nest, call 857-5178 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not approach the nest.
Important Contacts: Village Hall: 477-9215; Police: 477-9211; Mayor: C: 283-7993,|Mayor@villageofgreenwoodlake.org; O.C. Health Hotline: 291-2330; COVID-19 Hotline: 888-364-3065; Anthony Wayne Testing: 888-364-3065; Business Concerns: 360-0231; Senior Food Hotline: 615-3700; and Consumer Affairs: 360-6700.
The above column, written by Village of Greenwood Lake Mayor Jesse Dwyer, has been published in the Mar. 25 issue of the Warwick Valley Dispatch.