Voters to Weigh In On Capital Improvement

Featured Articles Local News News & Updates

     Warwick Valley Central School District voters will be deciding on a proposed $14.9 million capital improvement project on Wed., Dec. 18.

     Officials said the proposal carries no additional tax burden for residents and would fund high-need projects prioritized by the Board of Education, including infrastructure improvements at three of the district’s schools, the renovation of the high school auditorium and the modernization of athletic facilities.

     If approved, district officials estimate that 63.8 percent, or $9.5 million, of the project would be funded by state building aid which was established to encourage communities to maintain their schools. To pay for the remaining 36.2 percent, or $5.4 million, of the proposed project, the district would use funds set aside in its capital reserve.

     “This building proposal represents months of rigorous deliberation by our Board of Education and facilities committee, as well as ongoing feedback from parents, students and staff,” said Superintendent of Schools Dr. David Leach. “As school leaders and educators, we are pleased to propose a plan that is visionary for our students and community, and mindful of our taxpayers.”

     Officials said the proposed capital improvement work would address three major areas of need: infrastructure projects at Park Avenue and Sanfordville elementary schools and the high school. The proposed improvements were identified as high priority by the facilities committee of the Board of Education and discussed with district leaders and architects; renovation of the Warwick Valley High School auditorium; modernization of two athletic facilities, including the replacement of two grass fields with multi-sport turf fields at the Sanfordville; and elementary and high school campuses, installation of accessible outdoor restrooms at both locations, and replacement of the high school track.

     “Our board members’ measured consideration of our building needs and our desire to amplify student opportunities was supported by the feedback of many community members who offered their unique perspectives to district leaders,” added Board President Sharon Davis.

     If approved, the proposed work would begin in the fall of 2020. A newsletter was mailed to voters the week of Dec. 3, providing detailed information on the vote. The same information is available on the district’s website at www.warwickvalleyschools.com.

     The School District is divided into three election districts. Voting will take place at the Pine Island Firehouse, located at 684 County Rte. 1 in Pine Island; Dorothy C. Wilson Education Center adjacent to the Middle School, located at 225 West St. Ext. in Warwick; and at Kings Elementary School, 199 Kings Hwy. in Warwick.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

three × three =