Thanks to numerous generous benefactors, the Warwick Historical Society (WHS) has recently been completing several long-awaited renovation and restoration projects on multiple historic landmark buildings.
New Terrace at the Meeting House
Sitting atop the hill in Lewis Park, the historic Old School Baptist Meeting House’s steeple can be seen throughout the Village of Warwick. Recently, thanks to coordinated efforts and with support from the Village of Warwick and its DPW, the old slate sidewalk taken up from High Street was given to the WHS for a new terrace in front of the building.
The meeting house was completed in 1810, and purchased by the WHS in the 1950s for the sum of $1 and the promise to care for the building in perpetuity. This project has been envisioned by the WHS for at least a decade, and harkens back to days of community gatherings at the church and grounds.
Bettering Baird’s Tavern
More restoration work has been completed at Baird’s Tavern, one of Warwick’s oldest and most recognized landmarks. Craftsman Mike Hazard has been replacing the rotted windowsills of the pub, retaining the building’s historic character and restoring it to withstand another hundred years. The side porch has also been repaired and freshly painted, adding to the charm of the landmark structure that has stood on Main Street since 1766 and entertained locals and visitors alike for centuries, including Gen. George Washington and his wife, Martha.
After removing the overgrown bushes in front of the A.W. Buckbee Center, the WHS’s headquarters and former library building, the original marble stairs were found in repairable condition. The WHS is currently raising money to complete the work on the exterior of this important Warwick building, and the dozen other properties and grounds, built between the years of 1764 to 1927, all in need of upkeep and maintenance.
With support from the Village and Town, generous benefactors, volunteers and members, the WHS quietly and consistently keeps working on renovations and restorations that will retain the history of these important buildings. Working with craftsmen across multiple disciplines and with incredible talent, the WHS welcomes people who wish to get involved and help with its mission, to preserve and celebrate the history of the Town of Warwick and its people, and engage and educate the public regarding things of historical relevance. For more information and ways to be part of local historic preservation call the WHS at 986-3236; or follow their Facebook page, www.Facebook.com/whsny.org and Instagram account – warwickhistoricalsocietyny.
Craftsman Mike Hazard works on the exterior windows of Baird’s Tavern on Main St. in Warwick.
The new terrace at the Old School Baptist Meeting House has been completed, adding to the charm of the historic church, built in 1810 and maintained by the Warwick Historical Society.